People of Kenora - Template

My Website | My Twitter| My Facebook| My Blog | MyLinks| My Work

People of Kenora - Template

A complete index of People of Kenora may be found at http://retson.ca/peopleofkenora.html

This websites welcomes submissions to this site by sending information which may be sent to jretson@shaw.ca

Charles Randolph "Randy" Jackson

Randy, son of  Douglas Wilbur Jackson and Faith Sigurdson was born in Kenora Novemebr 28 1951. He attended local schools in Kenora graduating from Lakewood High School. He then attended Ryerson in Toronto wher he graduated with a BAA Hotel Mangement in 1974.

He married Barbara McDonald on July 23 1977 and had two children Graeme in 1981 and Megan in 1983

He commenced working for the Publicity Board of Kenora as Assitant Manger for 1 year and then taking over the position of Manger at the Tourist Buraeu in Kenora.

He worked 4 months with Travel Lodge and then commenced employment with Sutcliffe Insurance Agencies as Busness Manager. While working with Sutcliffe in 1981-1982 he was largely responsible for the layout of the new Sutcliffe Building at the foot of Main Street and the on site supervisor fpr the Company.

After 5 years with Sutcliffe he left to operate his own business purchasing Sunset Country Donuts from Eric Ringstrom. He opened the new business on May 1 1984 with the name Jackson's Sunset Country Donuts. He successfully operated the bakery for 13 years, following in the foot steps of his Father and grandfather before him.

In 1997 he commenced employment with Salisbury Cruises a Cruise & Outdoor Recreation Company operating out of Kenora. The Company operated the Big Narrows Island Lodge aand operated cruises aboard the Grace Ann.

Randy moved to Toronto in August 2000 and worked for All the Best Foods, a luxury bakery in Rosedale. He then worked for Fairmont Royal York as Assistant Guest Manger until May 2002. He then served as Day Tour Sales Manager for the Great Lakes Schooner Company. He then took on the job of Patron Services Manger for Roy Thompson and Massey Hall from 2003 to 2010. In 2010 he took on a three month contract with the Canadian Restuarant Association. For a year and a half, 2010-2011, he served as Esprit Orchestra as Operations Manager

In November 2011 he took up Consulting Trades with the City of Saint Catherine and the Performing Arts Center.

In March 2015 he return to Kenora and employment with the Chia Group, Lake of the Woods.

While in Kenora Randy belonged to the Kinsmen Club. He was a member and vice President of the Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of Smoke Free NorthWest and one of the first merchants to create a smoke free area in his restuarant -long before the requirements of the first legislation in the province. As a talent musician he acted as back up organist for the Knox United Church. While in Toronto he served as Chair of Gay Fathers of Toronto.

As Chair of the Lake of the Woods Historical Society he provided leadership to devel that organization and its contributions to recording the history of the area.

Fredrick Dufferin Jackson 1874- 1944

Fredrick Dufferin Jackson, eighth child of Robert Jackson and Jane Riggin was born in Perth County near Strathford in 15 Aug 1874. He came to Rat Portage around 1898 and opened a bakery business with brother William at the foot of Matheson Street.

He married Edith Lye on 12 Sep 1900 at Stratford, Ontario. They had

Edna Irene Jackson b. 26 May 1901 at Rat Portage d. 13 Feb 1902 at Rat Portage

Alma Edith Jackson b. 21 May 1902 at Rat Portage, m. David Francis 14 Aug 1928 d. 19 Jun 1981 lived in Medicine Hat

Frederick Herbert Jackson b. 25 Jul 1903 in Rat Portage m. Letta Violet Ray 10 Jun 1931 d. 15 Dec 1990

Robert Edward Jackson b. 25 Apr 1905 in Perth County m. Nattie Fisher d. 06 Mar 1956

Gladys Marion Jackson b. 03 Sep 1906 at Stratford, Perth, Ontario m. Mr Douglas

Charles Gordon Jackson b. 05 May 1908 at Stratford, Perth, Ontario d. 15 Sep 1963

Harold Walter Jackson b.23 Jun 1915 m. Annie Jane Duncan d. 01 Feb 1988

In 1904 the Bakery moved to 129 Main St. subsequently owned by the Campbell Brothers.

Three children were born in Stratford between 25 April 1905 and 5 May 1908 and the last in Winnipeg on 23 June 1915. His obituary indicates he moved further west to Winnipeg in 1918. In Winnipeg he was a member of the IOOF. He returned to Keewatin in 1924 where he farmed outside Keewatin. He died 21 September 1944.

Charles Wilbur Jackson1979-1936

Charles Jackson, tenth child of Robert and Jane Riggin was born 15 Sep 1879 near Strath ford, Perth County Ontario. He was the third of the Jackson brothers to join the Bakery Business in Rat Portage in 1901. The business subsequently moved to Main Street in 1904.

He was a member of the Pequona Lodge, the Kenora Board of Trade, Gold Hill Lodge, I.O.O.F. charter member of the Kenora Rotary Club and an ardent member of the Kenora Gulf Club.

He resided above the Main Street store with his first wife Anna (Matheson) and their four children - Roberta Jean ( b Sep 26, 1907), Patricia Evelyn ( b Mar 17, 1909), Edgar Charles ( b Aug 3, 1912) and George Matheson (b Feb 7, 1915) . Anna died during childbirth on Feb 7, 1915. In 1909, Charlie purchased two lots (11 & 12 King St) on Coney Island and built a cottage in 1911 that became a focal point for the family's gatherings.

Charlie married Christina Gladys Craig of Keewatin, ON, on Feb 27, 1918. They had two children, Marjorie and Douglas (twins) on April 26, 1921. They purchased a house on First Street North in 1921 where they lived until moving to 506 First St South in 1925. He passed away on May 16, 1936, leaving sons Edgar and George to run the family business until 1968 when the business was sold to two employees, bakers Robert Giles and Oswald Clark. Up untill the Lake of the Woods Milling Company Flour mill burned down in 1967 they had had the exclusive right to sell white and brown bread in the Kenora area. They had the commercial accounts as well and delivered bread to the various commercial establishments in the area.

Their nephew Randy Jackson, subsequently opened up a bakery shop in 1984 Sunset Country Donuts and sold it in 1997. He subsequently became the Patron Services Manager of the Roy Thompson and Massey Concert Hall in Toronto for 8 years from August 2000 before retiring. He was a talent musician and President of the Lake of the Woods Historical Society. He contributed substantial information with respect to the Jackson family who came to Kenora.

Marion Jackson 1946

Marion Jackson, daughter of Harold Walter Jackson and Annie Jane Duncan was born in Kenora on Dec 17, 1946.

She was elected to the Kenora School Board before its amalgamation into the Kenora Keewatin Patricia School Board.

 

She was active in her Anglican Church and ordained as a priest in 2012 ?

William "John" Jackson 1872 - 1924

William John Jackson, the seventh child of Robert Jackson and Jane Riggin was born on Maple Willow Farm in Strathford, South Easthope Township, Perth County, Ontario in 23 Mar 1872.

He married Annie Mary Cardwell (born 12 Jan 1877) on 28 Feb 1900 and had the following children:

Ruby Isabella Jackson b. 26 Feb 1901 m. Richard Hingston Elliott 21 July 1925 in Kenora

Florence May Jackson b. 20 May 1902, Rat Portage d. June 1929 Teacher at East Windsor

Thomas E Jackson b. 19 February 1904 Rat Portage d. May 1965

Ida Kathleen Jackson b. 19 Feb 1904 (Twin to Thomas) Rat Portage m. Roscoe H. Brown 23 Sep 1960 d. 24 Jan 1964 in Detroit

William J Jackson b. 3 Aug 1906 Stratford, m. Edith d. 1984 Kenora

He came to Rat Portage in 1898 and opened a bakery business with brother William at the foot of Matheson Street. In 1904 they moved to 129 Main St. in property subsequently owned by the Campbell Brother. He passed away July 30 1924.

William George Jay

William George Jay was born around 1886 in Ontario. He married Hilda Margaret Sunden on October 29, 1923 in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

He ran in the 1935 election for a council position and was defeated by Elizabeth Courtney. He was elected in 1936 and for the next 10 year. In 1947 he was elected Mayor and again in 1948. He died in June 1948 in office. George Carmicichael filled the mayor position in a by-election.

 

Roger Jeal 1982-83

Minister of a Church of Christ in Norman

President of Kenora Rotary Club in 1982-83

James Alan Johansen 1940 - 2013

Jim Johansen

James Alan Johansen, son of Tom and Edith Johansen was born August 20 1940 in Chicago Illinois. Jim was born in Chicago, IL in 1940. At the age of 10 he began coming to Sioux Narrows, ON with his parents where they built a cabin on Lake of the Woods. He was smitten with Canada. After completing his education at Illinois Wesleyan and Northern Illinois Universities he immigrated to Sioux Narrows. He married Coralee (Cory) approximately 1972.

He was a natural entrepreneur and immediately established Woodland Resort. He and his wife developed the resort to include a dining room where Jim became quite famous for his Wednesday night B.B.Q. ribs.  He also took various contracts with Confederation College.

In 1972 he and Cory opened the first Blue Heron Gift Shop in Sioux Narrows. Buying and selling was in his blood. In 1977 they opened the Blue Heron (Kenora) in the old fish market. Two stores in Minaki and "Johansens" in Kenora followed. His real passion was tourism and he chaired or sat on numerous committees such as the Chambers of Commerce of Sioux Narrows & Kenora, LOWBIC, Tourism Kenora, Kenora Publicity Board and was a president of the Kenora Rotary Club, 1995-96. His last commitment was heading the committee to organize the opening of "the Northern Ontario Sport Fishing Centre" in Sioux Narrows. He was the ultimate event planner and very artistic. He was a motivator and leader and had enough ideas to fill three lifetimes. He will be remembered by many as "the greeter" at the Blue Heron. He enjoyed 10 years of retirement. In 1982 he suggested that every Canada Day that First Avenue South be closed on July 1 every year so that he could hold a street party. Since then, it has grown into one of Kenora's popular summer festivals.

Captain Arthur Edwin Johnson 1860 - 1920

Captain Arthur Edgar Johnson was born in England on July 22 1860. He emigrated to Canada and resided in Kenora for over 25 years. He married Eliza and had three children,

Fanny Johnson born July 28 1893
Arthur Edgar Johnson born December 13 1897
Nellie

He was the manager of Armstrong Trading Company or its successor Booth Fisheries Ltd. He served on the Kenora Town council represnting West Ward for five years from 1911 to 1915.

He pased away on April 7 1920 at age 60.

James Lowry Johnson 1871-1961

James Lowry Johnson, son of James Johnson and Anne Sanderson was born January 31 1871 in Omemee (Near Peterborough) Ontario.

In 1891 at age 20 he came to Kenora at the age of 20 by train to establish Johnson Pharmacy with his older brother Joseph.

He married Margaret May Phillips September 6 1906.

They had four children:

James "James" Lowry Johnson born July 15 1907. He married Margaret MacDonald, They had 4 sons David, Doug, Ian and Jimmy.

Margaret Evelyn Johnson born April 2 1910. She married Les Ingo. They had three children, Ken, Brian, and Marilyn.

Lawrence "Larry" Phillip Johnson was born about He married Eleanor Ducasse “Julianna” Toole, They had 8 children, Terry, Larry, Paul, Eleanor, Mary Pat, Billy, Elizabeth and Kevin

Mercelline Johnson was born about 1914. She married Art Piggott. They had a child Jimmy.

He served on the Cemetery Board for a short time in 1899.

He was president of the Curling Club in 1908-1909 and later was appointed a honourary life member of the Manitoba Curling Club as a tribute for his long association with the sport and the link between kenora and Manitoba curlers. He was one of the promoters of the Kenora Golf Club in 1922. He was He was president of Kenora Rotary Club 1949-1950.

Lowry Johnson died in Kenora in 1961 at age 90.

James L Johnson 1907-

Joseph Johnson 1868 - 1941

Joseph Johnson, son of James Johnson and Anne Sanderson, was born in Omemee, Ontario in June 27, 1868. He served an apprenticeship as a druggist in Minden, Ontario. He worked in Kinmount and Belleville.

In 1899 he moved to Keewatin and worked for a year with Walter Coates. In 1900 he moved to Rat Portage where he founded the pharmmacy business known as Caniff and Johnson with Fred W. Canniff. This was latter changed to Johnson's Pharmacy when brother Lowery assited with the business.

Joseph married Whilhelmina Florence Harvey in Toronto in Mar 16, 1893. They had two children,

Dr. J.H. Johnson

Norah Anne Johnson born 1894

Lawrence Phillips Johnson 1912 - 2003

Lawrence "Larry" Phillips Johnson, son of Lowry Johnson and Margaret May Phillips was born July 30 1912. He married Eleanor Ducasse Toole known as "Julianna". They had eight children, Terry, Larry, Paul, Eleanor, Mary Pat, Billy, Elizabeth, and Kevin.

Both Larry and Julianna studied at University of Toronto. Larry studied pharmacy.

He was president of Rotary 172-73.

He passed away June 22 1997. She passed away November 13 2003.

Larry

References

Common Grounds Committee, Common Ground: Stories of Lake of the Woods, Kenora: Lake of the Woods Museum, 2010

Hylnski, Sharon, Cheryl Barnard, Bonnie Bowiec and Lori Nelson, Early Settlers of Rat Portage, 1881-82, Call Letters in Kenora Public Library 971.311HLY

Johnston, Georgina "The Kenricia - The Grand Hotel in Common Ground: Stores of Lake of the Woods, Kenora: Common Grounds Committee, 2010

Mead, Florence, Through the Kenora Gateway, Kenora: Bilko Press, 1981

Nelson, Kathryn (1978) A Political History of Kenora, 1981. Kenora Public Library 320.9713 Nel

Nelson, Patricia and Lori (1978) A Colloquial History of the Lake of the Woods. Kenora Public Library 971.311

Patterson Medical Clinic Website

Robertson, Heather & Melinda McCracken Magical, Mysterious Lake of the Woods, Winnipeg: Heartlands Associates, 2003