People of Kenora - G
A complete index of People of Kenora may be found at http://retson.ca/peopleofkenora.html
This websites welcomes Corrections and additions to this site which can be sent email@example.com
Thaddeus Anthony "T.A." Gadbois was born in November 1858, New York and baptized in Williamstown, Ontario Dec. 6 1858. His family is listed in a 1900 census as having arrived in the United States in 1885. He was the First Postmaster in Rat Portage in 1882 and held the position until 1886. He was appointed Clerk of the County Court in August 1883. He served as a town counsellor in 1884 and 1885. In 1886 he was Reeve of the Township of Rat Portage.
He married Marguerite Andrews Fishleigh in 16 Nov. 1880. While her husband had the distinction of being the first postmaster of Rat Portage his wife had the distinction of being the first red Headed women in town. They had at least six children
Thad J. Gadbois Jan 1883 in Canada
Marie Gadbois Jun. 1884 in Canada
Gustavus Clarence Gadbois13 Aug. 1886 in Illinois
Minota Gadbois Nov. 1887 in Illinois
Harold Bowie Gadbois May 1890 in Illinois
He died in 1915 in Hennepin, Minnesota, United States.
Reference: Nelson, Kathryn, A Political History of Kenora,
Israel Gagne was born in Thurso, Quebec on December 9 1863. He married his wife Anna E.M/ who was also born in Thurso Quebec. There is some evidence that he arrived in Rat Portage as early as 1880. They had the following children
Angeline Gagne born February 1 1898 in Rat Portage who died November 22 1905 and is buried in Lake of the Woods Cemetery.
Lucy Gagne born March 18 1899 in Rat Portage
Elise Gagne born October 6 1990
Leona Gagne 1902 –
Marie Gagne 1903 –
Zaida Laura Gagne born August 15, 1904 in Rat Portage, married John Arthur Denault May 30 1925.
Israel Gagne 1906 –
Rose Gagne 1907 –
John Gagne 1910 –
Gabrielle Gagne 1916 - .
John Henry Gamble was born in Watertown, Wisconsin on May 5, 1864 coming to the North West Territories in 1885 and Rat Portage in 1890. He was a conductor with the CPR at least by 1901 and retired about 1930.
He married Margaret Jean Campbell and they had three children, Ella, Vera and Alexander. She died Feb 7, 1936 and is buried beside her husband in Lake of the Woods Cemetery Kenora.
He was a member of Pequonga Lodge No 414 A.F. & A.M. He passed away January 2 1941 eleven years after retirement.
Frank Gardner, son of William Gardner, Glasgow, Scotland and Mary McKerrow, Edinburgh, Scotland, was born 31 Mar 1848 in Perth County, Ontario. He moved to Winnipeg in 1875 after spending five years at a lumber camp in Black Rivers, Quebec. He next moved to Fort Frances where a canal was being build to overcome the falls of Rainy River.
On Oct. 17 1876 Frank moved as a merchant trapper and trader of furs to Keewatin arriving before the CPR. In a quote originally taken from "Keewatin Reflections" Frank indicated:
My First appearance on the Lake of the Woods was in September 1875. At that time there were no settlers on any part of the lake. The Upper portion of Rainy River on the Canadian side, from the Big Forks to Fort Frances was sparsely settled. the first men to settle there coming in about 1873 or 1874. In October 1876, I settled at Keewatin , on the North shore of the Lake of the Woods. At that time I was the only inhabitant. I did a little trading in furs. Work on the Canadian Pacific Railway in that neighbourhood started the following spring, and the village of Keewatin had its beginning that same summer, Rat Portage now Kenora, began about 1879 or 1880
In Keewatin he built his first house known as the Matchet Point Log House. This was the first business where he established a trade with the Indians. He also boarded the first crew working on the Mill in the Winter. The members of the firm were John, Frank and William Gardner. The business was started in Keewatin in 1876 and subsequent moved to Rat Portage in 1879. He stated that only one other person Dr. Hanson started in Kenora with a cabin on the site now occupied by the Kenrica Hotel.
The business called John Gardner & Co. and included Wholesale and Retail Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots and Shoes, and Groceries,on Main Street subsequently known as the Doner Building. Four years latter, in 1883 he sold out to Angus Carmichael and went into freighting and touring logs from Rainy River to Kenora.
Mr. Frank Gardner was the builder of the large passenger and towing steamboat, the "Algoma", which is now owned by Mr. John Gardner, the senior member of the above firm. ( "Prominent Business Houses of Rat Portage" in The New West, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1888). In 1889 he bought the business back from Carmichael and amalgamated into the firm Gardner, Rice, McLeod.
Frank Gardner served on the town council in 1883 and 1906 with William Baker as Reeve. He also served on the Board of Trade. He started the first education in Kenora and worked hard collecting fees to help the school.
In 1890 and 1895 he was president of the Citizen Electric Light and Telephone Company. He put in the water work system.
He was active in the Curling Club 1889, Rowing Club 1890 and in 1894 he commencing 1894 he became issuer of liquor licenses.
Frank Gardner married his wife Sadie McDonell b. 1876 and had 4 daughters and two sons
Mary Gardner b. May 1903
Margaret Gardner b.15 Nov. 1904 d. 1930
John Gardner b. 05 Sept. 1906 died in infancy
Frank Gardner b. 05 Nov. 1909 d. May 1913
Catherine Gardner b. 05 Nov. 1909
Bernadette Jeannette Gardner b. 27 Feb. 1912
Sadie died July 1914.
Frank died in St Joseph Hospital 31 Jan 1937 at the age of 89 years.
Sources: Fraser, Alexander (1907) A History of Ontario, Vol. II, Montreal: The Canada History Co., Page 808
Corrections and additions are welcomed and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jacob Gill "Jake" Gaudaur son of Francois Gaudaur and Jeanette "Jessie" B. Gill was born in Atherley, Mara, Ontario on 4 April 1858. He came from a large family of 13 children. He married Cora Coons in 1892 by who he had one child who died the same year. His wife Cora died June 8 1894. He remarroied Ida Elizabeth Harris in 1894. He had 8 children by her:
Jacob Austin Gaudaur born 01 Jun 1895 , died 1959.
Victoria Rowena Gaudaur born 22 Sep 1896, died in 1964.
Marie V. Gaudaur born 16 Jan 1900 in Rat Portage died in 1992.
Selby S Gaudaur born and died in 1902 in Rat Portage died in 1902.
Arthur Selby Gaudaur born in 14 Apr 1902 in Rat Portagedied in 1944.
Aubrey Allan Gaudaur born 10 Sep 1906 in Orillia, Ontario died in 1992.
Reginald Gill Gaudaur born 13 May 1908 in Orillia, Ontario died in 1974.
Ida Elizabeth Gaudaur died 27 May 1911 in Orillia Ontario.
Gaudaur began his rowing career while living in Orillia. training with world champion Ned Hanlan from Toronto. He won his first race by the age of 17 and by 1886 was recognized as one of the tbest scullers in North America. In 1896 he won the world singles championshiop on the Thames River in England. and successfully defended in until 1901. In 1901 he was defeated by Austarlian George Towns.
William Robert Housten Gerrie, son of William Gerrie and Marguerite Housten was born November 2 1855 in Eastern Ontario. He married Christena Drysdale b. 30 Jun. 1858 in Rat Portage, in 1891.
He came to Rat Portage in 1884. He was involved in construction business and was also the Town building inspector. He was an active member of Board of Trade.
He was also active in Knox United for 15 years as choir leader and secretary treasurer of the Church Sunday School. He was a member of the town council in 1887-88 and in 1895. He died February 12 1927 as a result of shock and excitement brought about by fire which broke out in his residence the same morning.
John "Jack" Goldie 1870-1945
John Goldie, son of David Goldie and Elisabeth Easton was born October 25 1870 in Ayr Waterloo County Ontario.
His siblings included, George, William, Herbert, James and and Annie.
He married Florence Margaret Donaldson June 28 1905 in Waterloo, Ontario. She predeceased him on February 15 1944 in Victoria, BC.
They had two children:
Hugh McCullock Goldie born June 06 1906 in Ayr, Waterloo County
Elizabeth Goldie 1912 in Kenora
In 1911 they were living in Ayr, Waterloo County and by 1919 they had moved to Kenora. He was employed at the Lake of the Woods Milling Company where he rose to the position of Superintendent.
Jack Goldie was the first president of the Kenora Rotary Club which was chartered March 20 1920. In August 1 he went back east for his company
John "Jack" Goldie died March 01 1947 in Victoria BC and was buried in Ayr, Waterloo County Ontario.
Rufus Vincent Golebeski, son of William Golebeski and Mary Gorecki was born in Kenora on 7 August 1901. Father William immigrated
Rufus passed away on September 18 1970 at the St Boniface Hospital.
Bill Goss, son of Thomas Melvin Goss and Mary Monathana Simpson, was born in Rollingdam, New Brunswick on June 1 1919. He served in the Canadian Army during World War 2. He married Joan Clarke of Timmins in 1948. He settled in Kenora where he raised his nine children, Morton, Sandra, Debbi, Cheryl, Glenda, Noreen, Greg, Tom, and Lisa. Daughter Wilma Beth survived less than 4 months, may to August in 1959.
He served as Superintendent of the Provincial jail from 1948 1955until his retirement in 1982. He enjoyed fishing and golfing.
He moved to Alberta in 1994. His wife Joan predeceased him in June 2003 and Bill passed away in December 28 2008. Both are buried in Lake of the Woods Cemetery in Kenora.
Mort Goss was born in Timmins, Ontario in 1949, and moved to Kenora with his family in 1954. I come from a large family, and has eight siblings, a ninth having predeceased him in 1959. He married Emily, his high school sweetheart in 1970. They have two sons.
He opened the business Sure Thing in 1987, a successful retail store operating for 27 years.
His parents were very involved in community service, and taught their children to get involved in making the community a better place to live. Mort took their advice.
He served as convenor and coach for Kenora Minor Soccer for ten years, working with many young people and parents. He was a member of the Ducks Unlimited Lake of the Woods Committee for five years, serving on the 1987 Committee of the Year and acted as Chairman for two years. He was the founding chairman of Wintermission in 1988, and remained in that capacity until 1992, when the torch was passed to another community group. The carnival revived an old Kenora tradition which involved most of the community and had over 300 volunteers, and many community and service groups. He was invited to serve on the Kenora Tourism Committee in 1989, and continued to serve until 1994.
He was the founding chairman of Lake of the Woods Heritage Festivals in 1990, and continue in that role. Over the past 24 years this group presented hundreds of musical acts, twelve blues festivals, ten Shake on the Lake shows, serving to enrich Kenora’s cultural scene as well as bring visitors to Kenora. He was also the entertainment producer of the first seven Harbourfest events.
He served on three committees to bring a proper and much needed performance venue to the city since 1992 and have provided input to the latest such group.
Heritage Festivals presented the first events on the Kenora Harbourfront, and it was that group that identified the need for large tents that served Kenora so well for over 20 years before the construction of the White Cap Pavilion.
In 2006, he joined the executive of Kenora Harbourtown BIZ and served as President. BIZ have contributed to many downtown improvements, animated the streetscape and acted as downtown business liaison to the city. He was also a member of and ad-hoc group who presented major July fireworks for three years and also three years of Celebrate Summer festivities in celebration of First Nation culture and welcoming the return of our summer residents. He served as Chair of Tourism Kenora, and a member of the LOWDC Business Development Committee. He was a member of the Brand Leadership Team that developed the new Boating Destination brand. and has also been a member of city committees including the Harbourtown Centre Committee, the Big green Committee, Big Spruce tech team and several ad hoc city committees. In 2010 he was appointed to the the board of Lake of the Woods Development Commission and subsequently Vice Chair.
In 2010 he was narrowly defeated in his first attempt at municipal politics and elected in October 2014 with the second largest vote count.
Other interests include photography, travel, gardening, entertaining and live music and cooking for family and friends.
William "Bill" John Grant
Maureen M. (Sullivan) Grant 1938-2016
William John Grant, son of George and Marie Grant was born in Toronto, Ontario on February 16 1931. He moved to Scotland returning to Canada as a teenager. Maureen, daughter of Norman and Lydia Sullivan , was born in South Porcupine, Manitoba on January 16 1938 about 1961. They had four children,
Kenneth Grant, (Brenda), Grandchildren Laura and Shaun Grant
Carol Grant, (Robert Gallant), Grandchildren Jennifer and Lisa Gauld, Lindsay Gallant, Great Grandchildren Brady and Bennett Gallant
Patricia "Trish" Grant, Husband Dan Schultz. Grandchildren Andrew Zabloski, ( Natalie) and Jeffrey Zabloski
James Grant (Tara) ,Step Grandchildren Tanna Audette and Mya Hamilton
They moved to Winnipeg in 1970 and then to Kenora in 1979.
Bill came to Kenora to work for the Winnipeg Tribune and then returned to his earlier career as an insurance/investment broker working out of Sutcliffe Agencies office.
Bill was an ardent advocate for persons with intellectual challenges and spent many hours advocating for inclusion, deinstitutionalization and the banning of adversive stimulation and inhuman treatment of consumers. He served as a long term Board Member and President of the Kenora Association for Community Living for which service he was recognized the Distinguished Service Award in 2002.
He was an active member of Lakeside Baptist Church participating in many different roles including hosting a weekly youth bible study, ushering and participating in an adult bible study.
Bill was a very socialable gentleman in every sense of the word, enjoyed talking, welcoming all with a smile and a positive word and a sense of humour.
Maureen, his ever supportive wife developed lifelong friendships thoughout her career at Sears. She was very proud of her family and enjoyed her time together with the family.
William Greenwood was born at Salford, near Bristol England on March 16 1852. He resided in London Nephroma 1915 until his death in 1925.land for some time before emigrating to Canada in 1892. In Canada he took up a homestead at Whitemouth for two years before moving to Rat Portage.
The 1901 census gives his occupation as constable. Later he went into the Dairy business. In 1922 he sold his farm to the Kenora Golf club.
In 1904 he was elected as a Alderman for the West Ward
He served as President of the Kenora Agricultural Society from 1915 to his death in 1925.
He married Eleanor Ann Shattell and had at least 15 children of whom 10 survived him:
William Greenwood born Jun. 14 1878
Alfred L. Greenwood January 16 1880
Arthur Greenwood Oct. 16 1881
Eleanor (or Eleinoy) born March 3 1883
Annie Greenwood born Apr 16 1885
Jessie Greenwood born December 26 1886
Gertrude Greenwood born Sept. 29 1888 died 1904
Harold Greenwood born Feb. 9 1890
Ralph Greenwood born Dec. 22 1891
Elisabeth Greenwood born Jul. 13 1893
Henry Greenwood born Jul. 13 1893
Edith Greenwood born Apr 16 1895
Frank Greenwood born Jun. 13 1897
Grace Greenwood born Jun. 13 1897 died before 1901
Jack Greenwood born 1898 died 1898
Dr. John Robert Gunne, son of Robert Gunne (1822-1900) and brother of William James Gunne was born 20 February 1870. He went to Dauphin in 1893, where his father was a Dominion Land Agent. For the next few years he was the only doctor in the community and answered calls from as far away as 50 miles. In 1903 he was elected to the Manitoba Legislature representing the Dauphin constituency. In 1905 he moved to Kenora and went into a medical partnership with his brother, J. W. F. Gunne. Later deciding to specialize, he made two trips to Europe, in 1905 and 1910, where he took postgraduate work in London and Vienna. On his return, he practiced medicine at Winnipeg with A. W. Moody, later returning to Dauphin where he organized a medical clinic, working there until his death. He was married twice, first on 8 April 1903 to Christina Malcolm (?-1922) and later to Maizie Parker in 1928. He died at Dauphin, Manitoba on 5 June 1935 and was buried there. (Source Manitoba Historical Society)
Dr. William James Gunne 1859 - 1950
Dr William James Gunne, son of Robert Gunne (1822-1900) and brother of Dr. Robert Gunne, was born in Florence, Ontario, 19 Dec. 1859. He came to Rat Portage in 1884 and worked as a clerk and accountant in the store of the late Angus Carmichael.
He graduated from Trinity College and first practiced medicine at Cockberry, Manitoba. There he met and married Alzina Evelyn Livingstone, daughter of William Gay Livingstone of Glenboro. They married in 1888 and had three children
Dr. Livingstone Gilbert Gunne b. 11 Jan 1890 in Glenboro
Dorothy Gunne b.29 Jan 1893 m. Mr Green
Kathleen Gunne b. 31 Oct. 1900 m. Mr Lewis
They moved to Rat portage where Dr Gunne worked with Dr. Scovil as CPR Doctors.
Doctor Gunne was chairperson of the First Old Age Pensions Board for Kenora District. He served on the local CNIB Board, Director of the General Hospital Board, Health Board and Board of Trade. He was honourary president of the Kenora Rowing Club and involved with District Football League and Tennis Club.
He instructed classes for the CPR and the local high school. He passed away 16 August 1950.
Common Grounds Committee, Common Ground: Stories of Lake of the Woods, Kenora: Lake of the Woods Museum, 2010
Hylnski, Sharon, Cheryl Barnard, Bonnie Bowiec and Lori Nelson, Early Settlers of Rat Portage, 1881-82, Call Letters in Kenora Public Library 971.311HLY
Johnston, Georgina "The Kenricia - The Grand Hotel in Common Ground: Stores of Lake of the Woods, Kenora: Common Grounds Committee, 2010
Mead, Florence, Through the Kenora Gateway, Kenora: Bilko Press, 1981
Nelson, Kathryn (1978) A Political History of Kenora, 1981. Kenora Public Library 320.9713 Nel
Nelson, Patricia and Lori (1978) A Colloquial History of the Lake of the Woods. Kenora Public Library 971.311
Patterson Medical Clinic Website
Robertson, Heather & Melinda McCracken Magical, Mysterious Lake of the Woods, Winnipeg: Heartlands Associates, 2003