Picture by was Paulette Yorke presented to Mavis York on the occasion of her marriage on the property in July 1981
Before and After
Above is a painting of the house resided in by the Retson family from 1951 to approximately 1996. Immediately below is a picture that appears on google street view 2010. Below that picture is a picture appearing on Royal LePage
Royal LePage's description: Absolutely Stunning! This heritage estate has been transformed into a tranquil oasis of luxury & comfort. Keeping the home's original character, while adding today's most sought-after styles such as marble floors and granite countertops has been beautifully accomplished. The grounds are truly breathtaking with a panoramic view, pond with fountain, slate walkways, fencing & gorgeous gardens, magnificent mature Maples line the driveway as you enter.
Cliff Retson looked at various propeeties including acreage off of Young Street. The price for each was around $10,000 but he choose the Salmon River propety and purcahsed it with a loan from Director of Veteran's Affairs.
The original property had a barn and a well on it. The well initially served several properties on miller Road. The barn was blown down by Huricane Hazell in 1952.
Some of My Most Interesting Ancestors
1. 8th Great Grandfather John Hoar (relative of Nova Scotia Retson's either through Beatrice Clifford-Agnes Hoar or through Bessie Johnson-John Lutes Hoar and then the common ancestor David Hoar)
2. Great Grandfather Deacon James Clifford - Father of Beatrice Clifford
3. Jeremiah Belcher has the distinction not only of being one of the earliest if not the earliest ancestors of this website 's designers, James C. Retson to touch foot on the North American continent in 1634 but also as being simultaneously his 9th and 10 great grandfather as one of Jeremiah's daughters, Abigail direct descendent Grace Retson married the direct descendent of her sister Dorcus, Cliff Retson.
4. Great Grandfather John Clifford - Grandfather of Beatrice Clifford alleged murderer of a travelling salesman.
5. Joanne (Hinkmen )Hoar, mother of our Hoares, Hoars in North America
6. George Retson b. 06 Apr 1848
7. Grace Retson, First Female Justice of the Peace in Nova Scotia
8. WR Retson last of our ancestoral line to immigrate to Canada.
9. Samuel Archibald (1719-1774) first ancestor to be die and be buried in Nova Scotia and Canada
The Retson Surname
There are many derivation of the family name Retson. By far the most common root is for descendants from Western Europe who can trace their name ultimately to son of Richard: through Ritson, Richson Richardson or variations. A second common root is through the Greece "Retsos".
Ancestors of Cliff and Grace Retson
Siblings of James C. Retson