James Retson Genealogy Website
January 28 2022
Family Roots may be accessed from links on the left side of this page. An outline of many of the roots may be found at http://retson.ca/retsonroots.html. Surnames can then be found along left hand sidebar. (15/Jan/2017)
http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Retson-7 my Wikitree
Maternal Line mtDNA Haplogroup: H11a2a1 See http://retson.ca/themotherline.html (I am just commencing research on this line.)
Retson Family House
Picture by Paulette Yorke presented to Mavis York in July 1981 on the occasion of her marriage on the property.. Property in Salmon River, Colchester County, Nova Scotia was owned by the family from 1951 to approximately 1996. 2010
- Francis Cooke, 10th Great Grandfater of James C. Retson born about 1583, His son John Cooke and Richard Warren, first ancestors in North America arriving on the Mayflowers.
- 8th Great Grandfather John Hoar born in Situate, Massachussetts in 1622 (relative of Nova Scotia Retson's either through Beatrice Clifford-Agnes Hoar or through Bessie Johnson-John Lutes Hoar and then the common ancestor David Hoar) and
- 8h Great Grandmother Sarah Lord Wilson b. April 24 1678 at Andover, Massachusetts. m. Joseph Wilson July 4 1670, charged at Salem, Massachussets on Septber 7 1692 as an alleged witch and jailed until January 13 1693 and aquitted January 13 1693 along with her daughter Sarah Wilson Junio .
- Richard Ratson b. about 1730 earlest ydna
- Jeremiah Belcher born in September 1613 in Wiltshire, Lincolnshire, England, one of the earliest if not the earliest ancestors of this website 's designers, James C. Retson to touch foot on the North American continent in 1634. He also bears the distinction of being simultaneously our 9th and 10 great grandfather as one of Jeremiah's daughters, Abigail direct descendent, Grace Retson, married the direct descendent of her sister Dorcus, Cliff Retson in 1941.
- Samuel Archibald (1719-1774) Patriach of first ancestor to arrive in Nova Scotia and canada
- Janet Armstrong, b. in Dumfries-shire, possibly in Annan, in 1779, our earlest maternal ancestor and hence the carrier of mitochondria from Haplogroup h11a2a1
- John Clifford - probably born in 1801 in Ireland, Grandfather of Beatrice Clifford emmigrated from ireland. Beleived to be a Catholi, all his chidren joined protestant churches.
- Petticoat Preacher
- Timothy Clifford - killed while attempting to kill
- James Clifford - namesake
The Retson Surname
There are many derivation of the family name Retson. By far the most common root is for descendants from Western Europe who can trace their name ultimately to son of Richard, but bore various spellings Rattson, Ratson, Ritson but also Richson, Richardson and variations. A second common root is through the Greece "Retsos".
Ancestors of Cliff and Grace Retson
Siblings of James C. Retson