James Retson Genealogy Website
Family Roots may be accessed from links on the left side of this pag. An outline of many of the roots may be found at http://retson.ca/retsonroots.html. Surnames can then be found along left hand sidebar. (15/Jan/2017)
http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Retson-7 my Wikitree
Maternal Line mtDNA Haplogroup: H11a2a1 See http://retson.ca/themotherline.html (I am just commencing research on this line.)
Retson Family House
Picture by Paulette Yorke presented to Mavis York in July 1981 on the occasion of her marriage on the property.. Property in Salmon River, Colchester County, Nova Scotia was owned by the family from 1951 to approximately 1996. 2010
- 8th Great Grandfather John Hoar born in Situate, Massachussetts in 1622 (relative of Nova Scotia Retson's either through Beatrice Clifford-Agnes Hoar or through Bessie Johnson-John Lutes Hoar and then the common ancestor David Hoar) and
- 9th Great Grandmother Susannah North Martin executed 19 July 1692 at Salem, Massachussets as an alleged witch. Exonerated October 31 2001 by the State of Massachussetts.
- John Ratson born in New Hutton in 1779, Westmorland County, England is the earliest YDna bearer and the first to bear the name Retson, which name he died with. His father is beleived to be Richard Ratson and his father Richard Rattson all born in Kendall Parish, Westmorland, England. He migrated across the border between England and Scotland in 1809 and died in Scotland in 1842.
- Jeremiah Belcher born in September 1613 in Wiltshire, Lincolnshire, England, one of the earliest if not the earliest ancestors of this website 's designers, James C. Retson to touch foot on the North American continent in 1634. He also bears the distinction of being simultaneously our 9th and 10 great grandfather as one of Jeremiah's daughters, Abigail direct descendent, Grace Retson, married the direct descendent of her sister Dorcus, Cliff Retson in 1941.
- Samuel Archibald (1719-1774) first ancestor to die and be buried in Nova Scotia Canada.
- David Nelson one of only 4 individuals to swear an Oath of Allegiance to George III in 1777.
- Janet Armstrong, b. in Dumfries-shire, possibly in Annan, in 1779, our earlest maternal ancestor and hence the carrier of mitochondria from Haplogroup h11a2a1
- John Clifford - probably born in 1801 in Ireland, Grandfather of Beatrice Clifford emmigrated from ireland. Beleived to be a Catholi, all his chidren joined protestant churches.
- Sussana Lynds McCurdy, female preacher who preached in Maritime provinces in first half of 19th century and whose story is told in Bell, D.G "Petticoat - Apostle: The Preacing Adventures of Susannah Lynds McCurdy" in Henderson, T.Stephen and Wendy G. Robcheau's The Nova Scotia Planters in the World 1759-1830.
- Joanne (Hinkmen ) Hoare, born in Gloucestor England about 1590, her father Charles was Sherrif of Gloucestor who died in 1638, his father Charles died in 1636, mother of our line in North America and distant grandmother to John Quincy Adams, George Bush and son George Bush. She was a puritan who left England during the civil war to left "seeking a church without a Bishop and a state without a King.
Grace Retson, Jillie and Julia Retson, John Retson,
The Retson Surname
There are many derivation of the family name Retson. By far the most common root is for descendants from Western Europe who can trace their name ultimately to son of Richard, but bore various spellings Rattson, Ratson, Ritson but also Richson, Richardson and variations. A second common root is through the Greece "Retsos".
Ancestors of Cliff and Grace Retson
Siblings of James C. Retson