People of Kenora - A

My Website | My Twitter| My Facebook| My Blog | MyLinks| My Work

People of Kenora - A

A complete index of People of Kenora may be found at

This websites welcomes submissions to this site by sending information which may be sent to

Harry Townsend Agar 1875 - 1944

Harry Townsend Agar, son of John Thomas Agar and Sarah Ann Heywood, was born in Norwich, Ontario on October 3 1875. In 1897 he commenced working with the CPR at Kaministiquia. He was appointed agent and opened the first train station at Ingolf, Ontario (west of Kenora). In 1933 he transferred to Kenora in 1933 where he was freight and passenger agent until he retired in 1940.

He married Elsie Hall in Brant County, Ontario in 17 July 1902. They Had three children

John Edward Agar born in the Rural Municipality of St. Paul May 28 1903
Frederick Hall Agar born in the Rural Municipality of St. Paul October 21 1904.
Elwood Arnold Agar born in the Rural Municipality of St. Paul April 30 1909.

After retirement he moved East St. Paul before he passed away November 10 1942.

Edward Joseph Alcock 1896 - 1917

Edward Joseph Alcock, son of George Henry Alcock and Emma Frances Barker was born Dec 10 1896. He is listed in the 1901 Census in Rat Portage along with a number of siblings:

Ethol M Alcock b. Oct 9 1883
George F.H. Alcock b. Apr 10 1885
Sadie L. Mar Alcock b. 21 1887
Francis E b. Alcock Jan 31 1893
Amy F. Alcock b. Jan 5 1895
William Henry Alcock b. Oct 25 1898
Clifford W. Alcock b. Born Sep 20 1900

Attestation Paper is dated May 19 1915 Service No: 439209 Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment) Unit : 52nd Bn. Age: 21 Date of Death: 26/07/1917 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 27. Cemetery: Barlin Communal Cemetery Extension



Reference Great Canadian War Project at"

His brother William Henry Alcock also listed See (

George Henry Alcock 1862 - 1932

George Henry Alcock, son of Joseph Alcock and Sarah Jane Belch was born in Belleville, Ontario March 6 1862. He married Emma Frances Barker Jan 1 1883 and they had several children, two of whom died in World War.

Ethol M Alcock b. Oct 9 1883
George F.H. Alcock b. Apr 10 1885
Sadie L. Mar Alcock b. 21 1887
Francis E b. Alcock Jan 31 1893
Amy F. Alcock b. Jan 5 1895
William Henry Alcock b. Oct 25 1898
Clifford W. Alcock b. Born Sep 20 1900

He came to Kenora and soon after moved to Jaffray and Mellick where he carried on a business of farming and dairy.

George served on the council and was a Reeve of the municipality of Jaffray and Melick. He was a member of the Pequonga Masonic Lodge, Orange Order and United Church.

He died in Kenora on October 27 1930.

Ernest Frederick Angood 1889-1970

Earnest Frederick Angood, son of Frederick Angood and Harriet Boyden was born on 15th Oct. 1889. He shared early life with many sibling:

Frederick Angood b. abt. 1867
Emma Angood b. abt 1869
George Angood b. abt. Dec 1870
Eliza Angood b. abt. 1869
Caroline Angood b. abt.1878
Louisa Angood b. abt. 1878
Kate Angood b. abt. 1881
Nellie Angood b. abt. 1884
Mabel Angood b. abt. 1886
Fredi A. Angood b. abt. 1887
Elsie Maud Angood b. abt. 1889
Hebert Angood b. abt 1890
Harold Angood b. 27 Mar 1892

All including Ernest were born in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire near Peterborough, England. Some emigrated to Australia and some to Canada.

Stan Clark, son of Charlie Clark in "The Peterborough Boys in Kenora 1910-1918 recount relate the immigration of Ernie and Charles Clark to Canada in the summer of 1910. They traveled by Great Northern train to Liverpool and then boarded the Empress of Britain for a 10 day journey to Quebec City. The Governor General of Canada, Earl Grey was a 1st class passenger Montreal. Angood and Clark were 3rd class passengers who shared quarters with 32 separated from the next 32 by only a big canvass sheet.

The two boarded a train for Winnipeg where on their arrival their accommodation was a mattress on the floor of Immigration Hall. In Kenora they stayed at the YMCA. For a time he stoked and fired up the boilers on the S.S. Keenora. He commenced employment with the CPR in Kenora as a wiper in 1910. In 1920 he was promoted to engineer at which he was employed until his retirement on November 1 1954.

In World War 1 he joined the 52 Battalion of the Lake Superior Regiment and spent four years in the trenches, receiving a military medal for his duties in the war.

He returned with his war bride Florence Waites. They had three children,

Margaret Angood m. W.H. Clipperton

Joyce Angood m. George Weeks

Brian Angood

He was instrumental in the founding of the Great War veterans' Association (Canadian Legion). He was an active member of the Locomotive Engineers and the Peguonga Lodge. He was a member of Knox United Church and he and his wife were responsible for the development of the Church's Christian Education Centre.

Frank James Apjohn 1887- 1918

Frank James Apjohn, son of Frank J. and Agnes Apjohn was born 05 Nov 1887 at Rat Portage. He had three siblings,

Francis (Fanny) b. 17 July 1885

Mary Agness Apjohn b. 17 Nov 1890

Olive S. Apjohn b. 11 July 1898

His residence in 1901 was Rat Portage.

HE was a lawyer who practiced in Alberta and Ontario. He enlisted with Imperial Forces April, 1917, transferred to Canadian Forces July,1918.

According census information, he had 1 older sister, Francis (Fanny) and 2 younger sisters, Mary Agnes and Olive S. They were living in the town of Rat Portage, Ontario in 1901 with their parents and with mother and Frank in Edmonton WEST Alberta in 1916.

From the War Diary of the 8th Siege Battery, 6 August 1918: "Guns arrived early this a.m. and put into position. Lieut. F.J. Apjohn was wounded at the position by hostile shell fire, both legs being severed at the knees."

The CEF burial register for Frank says: "Died of Wounds" During the shelling of the Battery position and billets near the '"White Chateau," Villers Bretonneaux, this Officer, who was on duty, was proceeding from the fighting post to the guns when a shell exploded, severing both his legs below the knees. He was taken to the advance dressing station in 'White Chateau' where his wounds were dressed; and from there he was evacuated to No. 47 Casualty Clearing Station where he succumbed to his wounds. Date of death 06 Aug 1918 France, Unit: 3rd Brigade, Canadian Garrison Artillery Rank: Lieutenant Cemetery , Location: 10 Miles North West of Amiens, France [Crouy British Cemetery]

Great Canadian War Project Serial number 402089

Frank Joseph Ap`John 1853 - 1905

Frank Joseph Ap'John was born in Montreal Quebec in September 26th, 1853. He received his early education in Quebec. He moved to Winnipeg for a period where he was employed by the Gazette as the Editor. He married Agnes Stackhouse, daughter of James O. Stackhouse and in 1880 moved to Rat Portage. They had 4 children

Fanny Ap' John 07 Jul. 1885 Rat Portage

Frank James Ap' John 05 Nov. 1887 Rat Portage

Mary Ap' John 17 Nov. 1890 Rat Portage

Olive S. Ap' John 17 Jul. 1898 Rat Portage

They lived on Second Street North for a number of years before moving to Tunnel Island in 1900.

Frank Ap' John practiced as a conveyor and Notary Public until 1885. Shortly after the settlement of the boundary dispute, the office of Registrar of Rainy River was created and filled by Frank Ap'John. Subsequently he was also appointed the local Master of Titles, Registrar of the High Court and Clerk of the District Court

Frank served as secretary of the Board of Trade in 1894. HE was a member of the Hospital Building Committee in 1895. He was a prominent member in the Masonic Lodge. He and his family were members of the Anglican Church.

Frank Junior, their only son in 1910 passed his Bar exams at Osgoode Hall and was admitted to the bar. He was the first native of Kenora to complete his legal studies and take up practice in his home town. He practiced in Partnership with HAC Machin. He was killed during World War 1 in France (See )

Ernest Appleton 1869-1944

Mr. Ernest Appleton, son of George and Sarah Appleton was born in 1869 in London England. He came to Canada in 1886 at age of 17.

He came to Rat Portage around 1890 from Winnipeg to open a branch of the A. McDonald Wholesale Grocery. Later, with partner Mr. John Partington, he organized and managed the King Cash Grocery business. When this business was sold out he went into the Real Estate and Insurance in the firm of Derry, Appleton and Partington.

He became active in YMCA work in Kenora. He was Honourary president of Junior Chamber of Commerce. In 1909 was president of the Children's Aid Society.

He married Edith Edith Lindell on October 2 1897 and had one child Phyllis on arch 29 1901. Edith died on October 2 1924 and Phyllis in 1951.

He subsequently married Marie Isabella Gladys Brydon on November 1931.

He went to Osaquam to operate a tie mill for D.L. Mather from 1915 to 1931.

He returned to Kenora in 1931. In November of that year he marred Isabelle Brydon of Kenora.

He held various government positions, such as Local Registrar of the Supreme Court of Ontario, Clerk of the Division Court and Clerk of the Subjugate Court of Ontario.

He was the first secretary of the Stone Boat Company. He was secretary of the Bar Association of Kenora District. He was a member of the Board of Trade serving as President in 1939, a treasurer of the Red Cross Society, secretary of the Lake of the Woods Club and member of the Anglers Club. He owned his own boat named "Ernie".

In 1936 he played a prominent part in preparing the booklet "The Centennial Review".

He was the 19th president of the Rotary Club for the Rotary year 1937-38.
He died on May 21 1944 at the age of 71.


Horan, Gertrude (1952) From History of Rat Portage, Page 138 Early Settlers of Rat Portage. Vol. 1 Page 46

Francis "Frank" Henry Armstrong 1862 - 1935

Francis Henry Armstrong, son of Martin Armstrong and Catherine Reid was born on 11 May 1862 at Otonabee, North Umberland, Ontario. He was one of the early pioneers of Keewatin coming to Keewatin in 1890 with his brother William. He worked a short period with the Keewatin Lumber company before taking on a position with the Keewatin Flour Mills Company Limited Keewatin Flour Mills Company. He worked various positions with the company until appointed manager of the milling company's barrel factory. He retired in 1932.

He married Mary Emma "Mamie" H. Cameron, another early pioneer of Keewatin on 23 Nov 1891 in Keewatin. She was born 23 Nov 1871 in Dundee Quebec and died 24 Apr 1954 in Keewatin. They had the following children:

Annie Catherine Armstrong b. 21 Sep 1892 in Keewatin, Ontario d. 01 Feb 1960 in Keewatin, buried in Lake of the Woods cemetery

Fred Cameron Armstrong b. 12 Jan 1894 in Keewatin, Ontario d. 25 Oct 1918 in Kenora. He survived World War one only to brought down by Spanish Flu.

Beulah isabell Armstrong b. 10 Apr 1898 in Keewatin, Ontario, d. 1986 in Winnipeg, m. Carl Andrew Hansen 31 Dec 1924 in Keewatin.

Amy Ruth Armstrong b. 10 Nov 1903 in Keewatin 29 Aug 1991 at Winnipeg, m. Wilfred Sadler 1940 in Winnipeg.

Frank Cameron Armstrong b. 21 Jun 1907 in Keewatin, d. 28 Nov 1945 in St Vital, Manitoba, m. Hazel Jean McCowan

He was an Oddfellows and a member of the United Church. He was very active in community services and served as Keewatin councilor 1897 to 1903 and 1910 and Mayor for 1911 and 1912.

Frank Armstrong passed away on 29 Jul 1935 in Kenora, Ontario, Canada. His wife "Mamie" survived him almost another twenty years passing away in Kenora on 24 Apr 1954.

Resource: The History Of Keewatin published bu Keewatin History Book Committee, 1973, Kenora Great War Project

Phillip H. Austin 1867

Phillip H. Austin, son of George W. Austin and May C Hull was born 20 July 1867 in Belleville, Ontario.

He married Cecilia Helen Rochon daughter of Joel Rochon and Marie St. Amant on & Nov 1894 in Fort William, Ontario. She was born 02 Feb 1871 in L'Original, Prescott, Ontario, Canada. She died in Toronto on 29 Jun 1949.

He came to Kenora around 1895 as an Accountant for the Hudson Bay Company. His initial office was located in the Hilliard building which burned down in January 1902.He was a local representative of the Ontario Power Corporation for whom he served as Manager for Central Western Canada with headquarters in Kenora.

By March 1911 he worked with the Canadian Explosive Company. He left Kenora in March 1912 with his family for Port Arthur. His residence in 1921 census is 1165 13th St, Vancouver B.C. In June 1921 he was promoted to the management of the Eastern branch of the Canadian Explosives Ltd. Subsequently he moved to Toronto.

They had three sons and one daughter

George Lyall Austin b. 02 Oct 1895 Rat Portage d. Toronto in 15 Oct 1914
Alfred Phillip Austin b. 10 Sep 1897 Rat Portage
Louis Joseph Austin b. 6 Mar 1905 d. Jul 1983
Phyllis Marie Cecelia Austin b. 24 Aug 1907 m.1. Leonard Gillespie Reid 2. Jay Andrew Jacobs d. Mar 1982 Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

He was a member of the Kenora Town counsel for 1906 and 1907. He died in Toronto on 28 July 1944.

Source Early Settlers of Rat Portage, Volume 2 page 360


Common Grounds Committee, Common Ground: Stories of Lake of the Woods, Kenora: Lake of the Woods Museum, 2010

Hylnski, Sharon, Cheryl Barnard, Bonnie Bowiec and Lori Nelson, Early Settlers of Rat Portage, 1881-82, Call Letters in Kenora Public Library 971.311HLY

Johnston, Georgina "The Kenricia - The Grand Hotel in Common Ground: Stores of Lake of the Woods, Kenora: Common Grounds Committee, 2010

Mead, Florence, Through the Kenora Gateway, Kenora: Bilko Press, 1981

Nelson, Kathryn (1978) A Political History of Kenora, 1981. Kenora Public Library 320.9713 Nel

Nelson, Patricia and Lori (1978) A Colloquial History of the Lake of the Woods. Kenora Public Library 971.311

Patterson Medical Clinic Website

Robertson, Heather & Melinda McCracken Magical, Mysterious Lake of the Woods, Winnipeg: Heartlands Associates, 2003